Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Flat Stanley and Snail Mail Pen Pals

I have enjoyed doing this project almost every year with my students.  It's a great way to integrate writing, reading and geography.

Flat Stanley is a young boy who is accidentally flattened when a bulletin board falls on him while he is asleep. Stanley is very, very flat but otherwise fine. Stanley’s family did not have enough money to send him on a train or plane to visit a friend in California, so they decided to fold him up and put him in a large envelope and mail him. Our class will do the same with our “Flat Stanleys.”

Stanley's trip to Africa - Click here to see my trip to Africa with Stanley.  I am so excited that he will be going with me to a NCCAT seminar at Ocracoke very soon! I am sure we will both learn and see a lot :).

Flat Stanley template - 2 to a page

Flat Stanley Parent Letter

Flat Stanley Letter to Friend / Family Member


If you're looking for another letter writing project....

Snail Mail Pen Pals   -  My goal is for each student to write to one other student in a different state once a month. We go through the entire writing process before letters are mailed.  They get very excited when mail comes!  This year we will be writing to another second grade class in Iowa.